Thursday, 23 July 2015

Roti Jala

Finally I'm able to get my hands back in blogging, I guess for awhile. Eventho, I in my last trimester of pregnancy, I got two months left before the little one arrives, but it didn't stop me from getting myself busy with cooking and baking.

The first day of Eid me and hubby prepared rendang daging, ayam, ketupat, dalcha, chicken curry, harrisa and roti jala. It might sound a lot, but the first day of Eid is all the family members will be at my place. 

Roti Jala has been a tradition in my family since younger days. And I want to remain the tradition. 






Roti Jala

Also known as lacy pancake, is one of Malaysian favorite pancakes and usually serve with chicken curry with bits of potatoes. 



Ingredients:

1 cup of all purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cups water 
1/4 cup coconut milk
1tsp oil
Drop of yellow color/turmeric powder
roti jala maker



Method:

1. Mix together dry ingredients: flour, salt, and turmeric powder
2. Slowly add water and coconut and continue stirring until well combined.
3. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix well
4. Strain the batter to remove lumps
5. Lightly grease a flat pan over low heat.
6. Using a roti jala maker, drip the batter onto the pan in circles to form the lacy design.
7. Cook until set, 2 minutes and transfer straight onto the plate
8. Fold into triangles or roll up.
9. Serve with chicken curry. 

Below is the roti jala maker 







2 comments:

  1. Wow looks awesome....the lacy roti is very new to me. Will try it. Congrats for ur pregnancy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried making ones but went haywire with the shape. But still save able to eat. Yours is truly perfect. Love to try with rendang.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Don't forget to leave your humble comments. xoxo