I love this dark chocolate cake, I would say its the best ever chocolate cake I've made so far. I love when my chocolate is less sweet because I can enjoy the chocolate flavor more and definitely eat more hehe...
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1 cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare two 9-inch cake pans, spray with baking spray or buttering and lightly flouring.
1. Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a mixture bowl. Whisk it through until the mixture well combined.
2. Pour in the milk, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla to the dry mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Slowly reduce the speed and pour the boiling water slowly to the batter. Turn into high speed for 2 minutes to add air to the batter
3. Pour the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Remove from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely.
Preparing the frosting :
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon boiling water
2 1/4 cups (4 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds best-quality semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1. Combine cocoa and the boiling water, stirring until cocoa has dissolved. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter, confectioners' sugar, and salt until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low. Add melted and cooled chocolate, beating until combined and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in the cocoa mixture.
Spread the frosting on the cake.